Kontur is looking for a Geospatial Data Engineer for its work-from-home team.
Starting salary ranges from $1,500 to $3,000 based on interview results. Kontur is a US-based geospatial data and real-time risk management solutions provider for humanitarian, private, and governmental organizations. For many regions across the globe, natural disasters are not just news headlines — they are the reality of life. We are helping companies, governments, and communities reduce the impact of natural disasters and provide help and resources to those who need them the most.
Duties and responsibilities
As a Geospatial Data Engineer, you will be responsible for Kontur
Data Services. That includes creation, maintenance and integration of geospatial datasets to timely solve disaster
management problems of our customers. Closest upcoming challenges are global population and boundaries dataset
creation. You will be helping build Kontur’s tools to efficiently look for patterns in data. For our logistical
customers you will be maintaining the region in OpenStreetMap and actively engaging with the community.
Our technology stack is Linux-based and includes PostgreSQL, PostGIS, GDAL, Python, GNU Make.
Why would you want to join?
- Technical challenge. You will be participating in piecing together the data analysis puzzles for disaster management, and programming next generation geospatial analytic tools.
- Unmatched expertise. You will be working alongside GIS community leaders, seasoned tech visionaries, entrepreneurs, engineers, and tech leaders with decades of experience.
- Helping people. Our solutions are already being used by organizations, such as Pacific Disaster Center, Beacon NGO, and Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, in real cases of natural and human-made disasters. Knowing that the feature you have been working on saves lives is priceless.
- Flexibility. We believe that only in a comfortable and safe environment we perform at our best. That\’s why we have a flexible schedule and avoid overtime work. The healthy and friendly atmosphere in the company is something we truly value and are proud of.
Things we seek
- Good understanding of computational geometry.
- Experience in writing PostGIS queries.
- OpenStreetMap mapping and community engagement experience.
- Linux command line usage background.
- Knowledge of the core engineering concepts, data structures, algorithms, and best practices.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English both verbally and in writing.
Things that will set you apart
- Data analytics skills in the geospatial domain.
- Experience in Python.
- Experience building REST APIs in any software stack.
- Cartographic design skills.
- Knowledge in maintaining FME and GeoServer based GIS stacks.
- Knowledge in data engineering and data modeling.
- Vendor management experience.